Princess Cruises partners with Discovery Consumer Products for onboard activities and immersive shore excursions
Posted: 3 November 2014
Princess Cruises, one of the world’s best-known names in cruising, and Discovery Consumer Products, the licensing arm of Discovery Communications the world’s #1 pay-TV programmer, today announced their collaboration to create Discovery At Sea, interactive onboard activities and shore excursions to entertain and delight families aboard Princess ships.
The new Discovery At Sea cruise vacations will feature themed tours, science activities, hands-on programs and games based on Discovery’s breadth of brands and programming. Debuting on Princess Cruises’ ships in early 2015, the interactive experiences are designed to bring to life the nature, wildlife and history of the regions guests are sailing.
Discovery At Sea content will be based on top-rated Discovery network properties from Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet and Science Channel. Some of the integrations guests will experience are based on Shark Week, Mythbusters and Deadliest Catch.
Guests will be able to let their imaginations set sail with a variety of activities including:
- Discovery Under the Stars – Guests on select cruise vacations will forever look up at the night sky in a whole new way after this cosmic voyage from the ship’s top deck.
- Shark Week at Sea – This experience will challenge adults and kids alike, testing their knowledge of the ocean with trivia games and a variety of themed activities.
- Baking at Sea with TLC – All ages will be able to join in the fun of learning to bake and decorate cakes by the best pastry chefs at sea.
- Discovery, Animal Planet and Science Channel Shore Excursions - Offerings will include panning for gold on the Gold Rush inspired tour; getting up-close with each destination’s native animals during Animal Planet tours; and learning how popular foods and beverages go from farm to table on Science Channel How It’s Made tours.
- Discovery Kids and Teens Program – Age-appropriate onboard activities will include fun and engaging science experiments made popular by Mythbusters; Animal Planet themed activities; brain teasers and competitions; and videos, puzzles, games and apps from Discovery.
“This is such an exciting partnership between our two companies because we are both passionate about exploring the world,” said Jan Swartz, president of Princess Cruises. “Discovery’s brands resonate with a growing, global audience and we’ll be bringing some of their most popular programs to life for our guests in the context of the destinations they are visiting on their cruise. We’re creating meaningful and memorable shared experiences while also fueling a lifelong passion for travel.”
“From science and nature to baking, crafting and exploration, the Discovery brands truly provide something for every cruiser to enjoy,” said Nicolas Bonard, SVP of Global Discovery Consumer Products. “This partnership is the perfect integration of our brands into the amazing offering Princess provides its guests onboard, creating a truly unique experience igniting curiosity on every voyage.”
To further enhance the cruise experience, Princess ships will feature a lineup of television programming including hit shows from Discovery Channel, Animal Planet and TLC. Discovery limited-time-only merchandise will also be available onboard, offering passengers a chance to bring home branded keepsake souvenirs.